I now own all of SUPERMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES on DVD. Each week, I’m going to work my way through the series one episode at a time. Dig?
Episode: “Fun and Games”
What Happens: Lois Lane is caught in the crossfire when the Toyman takes revenge on local crime lord Bruno Mannheim.
- The animated incarnation of the Toyman is THE CREEPIEST THING. I remember being unnerved by the Toyman episodes when I first saw this show as a wee ‘un. The similarities to Mattel’s “Matty” mascot are uncanny.
- Hey, Bruno Mannheim is in this episode! He’s basically just a plot device in this episode but they do some pretty cool stuff with him once the Fourth World characters start to show up.
- The different weapons Toyman uses are fun. Giant rubber duckie, indestructible bouncy ball, remote controlled planes, living play doh, etc.
- Toyman is so committed to his gimmick that he puts together an expository pop-up book!
- Have to say, I REALLY like the new origin for Toyman here and the pop-up book mashed up with Clark and Jimmy going through old news reports is a pretty clever way to convey it.
- Looking back, it’s kind of surprising that they didn’t do a Joker/Toyman team-up episode, seems like a pretty natural fit and they certainly did enough crossovers between Batman and Superman.
- Did not realize Bud Cort was the voice of Toyman in all of his Timm-animation appearances. Cool!
Nice little episode. Creepy villain with a creative gimmick and it sets up a few plot points for later episodes.
Next Episode: A LITTLE PIECE OF HOME (Krrrryptonite!)