I now own all of SUPERMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES on DVD. Each week, I’m going to work my way through the series one episode at a time. Dig?
What Happens: An accident during a heist of toxic material from STAR Labs turns idiot janitor Rudy Jones into the monstrous PARASITE. He
sucks off steals some of Superman’s powers/strength and stuff.
- Well, first of all, this:
- I like how Superman gets a couple of different “environment” suits in this show. The anti-Kryptonite suit and the space suit are cool ideas.
- Man, Parasite’s just about the creepiest Superman foe. Even when he isn’t leech-mouthed, the whole “stealing people’s memories and abilities” thing is…unsettling.
- Definite horror movie vibe when we first see Parasite.
- Where does one pick up Kirby-esque stripper wear?
- I LOVE the whole bit where Parasite knows about Clark Kent being Superman and uses it to ambush him.
- Parasite’s whole scheme here is “literally live off of Superman, steal his apartment/anything else I want”. It’s appropriately short-sighted.
- I think this is the first episode where Jimmy Olsen is something more than a background character. Good Superman interaction.
- Placing the fight in STAR labs was a good choice, especially since it gives us THIS:
- And, of course, it all comes full circle with the Kryptonite and the Kryptonite suit we saw at the beginning of the episode.
- Nice little reference to Psycho with the end there.
And with that, we finish up the first disc. A good episode, though it felt really short. Nice introduction to Parasite, who gets a couple of pretty interesting episodes later on.
Next Episode: THE WAY OF ALL FLESH