I now own all of SUPERMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES on DVD. Each week, I’m going to work my way through the series one episode at a time. Dig?
What Happens: PREVIOUSLY. Superman and Lobo were captured by the sinister alien “The Preserver” and put in his SPACE ZOO. Now they have to team up and escape AHH SPACE DEMON WORM.
- Weird fact: the first time I ever saw DVR technology being demo-ed was like ten years ago on a news broadcast that used this specific episode to demonstrate pausing/rewinding live TV.
- The Preserver keeping Lobo satisfied with robot alien hookers in what looks like a college dorm room is the best, man. That concept alone is pure Dini.
- Superman reflecting the red sun lamp light onto some kind of wacky space rhino in order to goad it into smashing through his cell is a clever way to get him free.
- “The Main Man’s word is his bond, man”
- Hahaha what the hell?
- The dynamic between Superman and Lobo in this episode is really fun.
- There’s even more really sweet alien designs in this half of the two parter, must’ve been a pain to design and animate but it really adds something. And moar STARRO
- Maaaan, Lobo tearing the skin off that giant alien snake thing. How on earth did they get away with that?
- I don’t know how it took me this long to place it but Sqweak is voiced by David “Squiggy” Lander. Ok!
- The Preserver transforming from “alien John Hodgman” to “enormous Kirby-esque monstrosity” is cool!
- I like that Superman puts all the animals from the Space Zoo in his budding Fortress of Solitude and that its something that gets referenced from time to time later on.
Overall? This is a really fantastic two-parter. There’s so many weird, cool ideas they manage to jam into the story and it all works.
Next Episode: (Talkin’ bout) “My Girl”